At Mary’s Choices, we know that the fathers of the babies play a very important role in the lives of both the mothers and the babies. This is a time to stand up and take part in your pregnant partner’s life. She needs to know that you care and are ready to walk through this with her.
- Listen. The situation involves more than just you. There are now three lives to think about.
- Stay Calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be carrying the baby, but you are BOTH parents, and regardless of your relationship in the future, that baby needs you, too.
- Talk about it. Not only with each other, but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help you only increases the stress.
- Gather all the facts. Get all the information and seek wise counsel so you can make the best decision for both of you. Mary’s Choices is here to provide caring, free, and confidential help for you and your partner.
- Express yourself honestly. It’s normal to have feelings of anger, frustration and fear. But make sure she knows she is not alone.
- Don’t bail. The more you run from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Don’t pressure her. Applying pressure will only push her away, possibly into a regretful situation. You will do well to work together as a team.
- Don’t forget. You have a very active role in this situation. Listen to input as well as sharing your thoughts.
- Find out if she is really pregnant.
- Learn about your options.
- Call Mary’s Choices to request an appointment at (785) 246-6805.
- To help show your support, go with her to the pregnancy test appointment. We can also provide a sonogram to see how old the baby is.
Mary’s Choices can help you in a variety of ways should she actually be pregnant. We offer classes on pregnancy, parenting and other proctical topics as well as countless referrals to helpful organizations. We also assist with maternity clothes, baby furniture, diapers, baby food, etc. You won’t be alone in supporting her through this pregnancy.
Remember, the decision is ultimately hers to make. You should be able to express your opinions, but you should never force her into a decision.
Make an appointment today to get your questions answered!
Call us to make an appointment!